Dash Swim School
Enroll today. Call 04 2371518
Choose a pathway icon or scroll to see a class description
- This is the first level in our Under 3's programme.
- The children are working towards completing the first stage of a self rescue.
- Understanding of cues.
- Comfortable using equipment.
- Comfortable with over & under.
- Correct holds.
- Comfortable with activities in class.
- Safe entries and exits. Comfortable to be held by instructor.
- This is the second level of the self rescue.
- Assisted float on back.
- Paddle arms and legs on front.
- Assisted kicking on back.
- Swim to and from bar.
- Assisted roll front to back.
- Assisted falling in and rolling onto back.
- This level is working on the third stage of a self rescue.
- Floating on back unaided.
- Rolling front to back.
- Swimming to and from bar.
- Swimming to bar climbing out of pool.
- Fall into pool rolling onto back. Fall into pool wearing clothes.
Super Tots Advanced
- This is the last level in the Under 3's programme.
- This level is working on the last stage of a self rescue.
- Jumping into the pool rolling onto back.
- Kicking on back unaided.
- Rolling on back calling for help.
- Floating on back in clothes.
- Fall into pool in clothes swim to bar climb out of pool.
- This is the first level in our pre-school programme.
- Increasing water confidence.
- Working on full submersion.
- Introducing the children to a pool lesson structure.
- This level is about increasing the children's water confidence while increasing their skill set in the water.
- Floating with a noodle and no instructor assistance.
- Basic level front and back kicking.
- This level is about the children learning the correct kicking technique.
- Unassisted front and back float.
- Correct kicking technique over 5 metres.
- This level is where the children learn their freestyle and backstroke arms.
- Combining their kicking with their arm strokes.
- Getting the correct timing with their arms.
- This is the last level for our pre-school programme.
- Perfecting their freestyle and backstroke arms.
- Introduction to breaststroke kick.
- Introduction to butterfly kick.
- Improve on their Freestyle and Backstroke swimming and be extended as far as they can go until they can be transferred into our School age program.
- Full Breaststroke.
- Understanding of the Butterfly leg kick.
- This is the first level of our school age programme.
- This is the level for beginners over 5.
- Learn how to be safe in the pool environment, water confidence.
- How to submerge.
- Float unassisted on their front and back.
- Introduction to unassisted front and back kicking.
- This level is where children learn their freestyle and backstroke arms.
- They work on achieving the correct timing with their arms.
- Combining their kicking with their arms.
- This level is an extension of the freestyle and backstroke timing.
- Perfecting the freestyle and backstroke arm actions.
- Introduction to breaststroke kick.
- Kick for 10 metres on their front and back.
- This level is where they start learning the breathing position in freestyle.
- Swim 10 metres of freestyle with correct breathing technique.
- Swim 10 metres of backstroke with correct timing.
- Swim 10 metres of breaststroke kick with correct technique.
- Introduction to butterfly kick.
- Extending their freestyle breathing technique to 15 metres.
- Swim 15 metres of Freestyle with correct timing.
- Swim 15 metres of Backstroke with correct timing.
- Introduction to full Breaststroke.
- Extension of the Butterfly kick.
- This is the first level where the swimmers are swimming 25 metres.
- Swim 25 metres of Freestyle with correct technique.
- Swim 25 metres of backstroke with correct timing and technique.
- Swim 15 metres of breaststroke with correct timing Introduction to the butterfly stroke.
- Introduction to freestyle and backstroke tumble turns.
- This is the first level where swimmers are building the fitness to swim more than 25m without needing to stop.
- Swim 50 metres of Freestyle with the ability to breath to both sides.
- Swim 50 metres of Backstroke with a more advanced technique.
- Swim 25 metres of Breaststroke with the correct timing and technique.
- Swim 10 metres of Butterfly with the correct timing and technique.
- Extending the swimmers knowledge of tumble turns and starts.
- First step in our "high end" programme.
- 45 minute long lesson.
- Being able to do Freestyle, Backstroke & Breaststroke to a high standard.
- Extending their distance on their Butterfly.
- Distances for each stroke starts at 100m learning all turns and starts for all strokes.
- An introduction to diving.
- Increasing the distance your child can swim.
- Being able to do all four strokes at a high standard.
- Introduced into a "squad" setting where they will learn how to use a pace clock and self-time effectively.
- This class will bring in an introduction to race diving.
- Top level in our Learn to Swim program.
- This class is run with a squad format.
- Swimmers can perform all four strokes to high standards.
- How to complete a "squad set".
- Swimmers are working towards achieving times close to national times.
Teenage Swim Fit
- Designed as a fitness regime especially for teenagers
- Build up your cardio-vascular fitness
- Great way of keeping fit for other sports escpecially out of season
- 1hr lesson
- Build confidence in the water with your toddler.
- Run by Dash Swim School.
- Qualified instructors are in the water helping you with your toddlers’ water confidence through tips, tricks and group games.
- This class is best suited to 4 months to 5 year age group. Maximum ratio of 2 children to 1 adult.
- 1 on 1 tuition for one term only to work on the skills needed to help them progress.
- Private lessons are catered to the individual.
- Goals are set and the lessons are based around achieving these no matter what they are.
- Learn to be comfortable in the water before being introduced to swimming techniques.
- Technique improvement for the less able swimmer – correcting stroke and breathing skills to help you to swim efficiently and confidently.
- Classes set at individuals pace.
- Get the heart pumping and the fitness building in fun but structured sessions.
- Ideal for cross-training for triathlons, surf lifesaving, water polo or any water-based sport.
- Smaller classes taught by fully qualified AUSTSWIM Access and Inclusion Teachers.
- These classes are aimed at getting everyone involved in the water, no matter what their disability may be.
- These classes run alongside the Dash Programme and are tailored to each individual’s needs.
All group classes per $13.50 per lesson.
We run to school terms so fees can vary. Public holidays are excluded.
Private lessons are:
- $30 per lesson for one person.
- $40 per lesson for two people.
Contact us for availability and more information on these kinds of lessons.
HOW TO PAY
When booking we require full payment to be made prior to commencement of lessons.
We accept credit card payments (Visa and MasterCard), cheque or cash.
MAKE A BOOKING
You can make bookings over the phone on (04) 237 1518, by email to email@example.com, or in person at Cannons Creek Pool.
Dash Swim School holds a Prizegiving event once a term on a Saturday afternoon to give families and instructors a chance to celebrate their success during the term.
All children who have moved throughout the term are invited to attend. They will receive a certificate from their instructor. Then we have a big pool party with the inflatable and BBQ, and best of all, it is free!
Invites are at Reception. You just need to hand in your RSVP so we know how many people to cater for.
The dates for this year are as follows:
- Saturday 24th March 2-4pm
- Saturday 23rd June 2-4pm
- Saturday 15th September 2-4pm
- Saturday 8th December 2-4pm
Dash Swim School’s Philosophy is simple First we will teach your child to survive – then we will teach them how to swim. Drowning is a massive issue in New Zealand and it is anticipated that 80% of Kiwi kids can’t currently swim to survive.
We take great pride in our Water Safety programme and we consistently try to push the boundaries to see what is possible in a pool environment. This gives our customers as close to the real situation as possible. Our hope is that if one of our customers does ever find themselves in the unfortunate situation of an aquatic emergency they will have the necessary skills to survive.
Unique programme for babies
This programme teaches essential water safety skills to babies for example to automatically roll onto their back to expose their airway if they fall into a body of water. This very basic skill may be the difference between your child surviving and not surviving an accidental encounter within an aquatic environment. We are constantly being told how confident our babies are when going to other pools. People are suprised to see under 3s showing basic swimming skills and water confidence. Remember a lot of this also comes down to parent/caregiver confidence too, happy relaxed adult = happy relaxed baby.
All of our learn to swim levels have water safety concepts integrated into them. We have a dedicated Water Safety week every term. The activities change every two terms to give your children new and different experiences in which your child learns vital water survival and safety skills. We cover everything from seaweed, rips and currents, wave patterns, boat safety, river safety- the works! It's ever changing and we are proud and excited with what we have been achieving. It was great to see so many of our Dash children down at the beach over the summer. Parents are excited about their child's new found confidence in their surroundings and feeling safe in the knowledge that their child knows what to do if they were faced with a tricky situation.
Our adult classes don’t miss out on water safety. We use the same principles we teach the kids to offer skills and knowledge in Water Safety.
Specific Water Safety programmes for School and Community groups
At Dash we have developed a comprehensive water safety programme for schools and community groups. We have developed it in a way that is fun and enjoyable, which facilitates learning. We are consistently told by school groups how much the children enjoy the Water Safety side of the programme and can't wait to do it when they next attend their swimming.
View our Water Safety Week Photo Gallery.
Payment of Fees
Lesson fees must be paid in full before the first lesson of the term. If payment is not made before this date then you or your child will be withdrawn.
Withdrawing during Term will incur a 10% Administration fee + the cost of any missed lessons.
Confirming your lessons:
All current customers will be required to pay 100% of the fee at the time of booking.
To confirm your place for the following term, you must contact our administration team within two weeks of the new term opening. If you haven’t confirmed by this time, you will not be guaranteed the same day or time for your lessons.
You must sign and return your swimming confirmation by your first lesson.
Swim school bookings will open to public after the first two weeks of the new term being opened.
Lessons are non-refundable unless:
- Dash Swim School cancel a lesson.
- You or your child is covered by a medical certificate.
No credits will be given for missed lessons.
Shorts and T-Shirts are not to be worn as togs by pupils.
Pupils with long hair are expected to wear a swim cap.
All pupils who are not toilet trained must wear an aqua nappy whilst in the pool (regular nappies are not to be worn).
Sickness and Absence
Please do not attend lesson if your child has suffered from Diarrhoea within the last two weeks. You must notify the Swim School before your lesson to receive a credit for the missed lessons.
Parents and caregivers responsibilities
For children aged 12 years and under, parents and caregivers are required to be in attendance at all times whilst your child is in the pool.
Parents or caregivers are required to be in the water with infants who are enrolled in our babies program.
You are asked to notify the Dash Swim School administration team of any medical conditions or disabilities your child has, to allow us to provide the correct tuition, assistance and support your child might need.
By enrolling to this program you are agreeing to abide by any rules and policies of Cannons Creek Pool and Porirua City Council.
Promotion and social media
By enrolling into this program you agree that you or your child may be used to help promote the swim school via video, social media and through our websites.